Tuesday, April 7, 2015
I personally have never been effected by social networking, but I has helped me in communicating with friends from long distances. I believe that parents should really regulate what their children do on social media and how much of it they are exposed to. Overall there is a lot a advantages and disadvantages to social networking.
Social networking is used by almost everyone in our day-to-day activities. You see people on there phones everywhere either on posting a status on Facebook or posting another "selfie" to Instagram. Like everything else there are good and bad effects to what you do. In a Reader's Digest article called 5 Weird Negative Effects of Social Media on Your Brain by Damon Beres, there are some effects that we are not even conscious about.
1. Facebook might make you spend more money - Social media is also a great outlet for advertising. This can be an advertisement for the next new daily planner app or this could be an advertisement for the next best product. Whenever we use Facebook we will lazily scroll through our news feed for something interesting. This could be a new gaming app that will cost you a few dollars. This tend to happen over and over again with everyone.
2. It alters your appetite - Ever see all those picture posts of dessert on Instagram right after you finish your evening meal. Studies show that those pictures will activate the brain's reward center and cause some viewers to over eat.
3. It messes with your ability to think independently - Studies show that people are more open to peer pressure with social media networks. Sometimes a person will feel the need to "like" a photo or a status on Facebook to fulfill their peers needs. Example: Girlfriend gets mad at boyfriend for liking another girl's photos and not her's.
4. It hurts your self esteem - Ever find yourself comparing your self to others on Facebook or Instagram? Another study show that this causes lower self esteem because of feeling lonely or inadequate compared to others.
5. It can butcher real life conversations - If you talk to someone on an on-line chat room and then meet them in real person, find that it can get really, awkward really quick.
Even though there is a negative side to social networking, there is also a good side. In an article called The Positive Impact Of Social Networking Sites On Society by Dave Parrak , highlights the good qualities of social media.
1. Friends! - With social media you can always stay in touch with your friends. Some people are able to get in touch with old friend and classmates from years ago.
2. Speedy communication - Social media allows us to communicate to each other fast and easy regardless of where you are. If you have to get in touch with a friend about some urgent news, you don't have to wait for him to pick up his phone, you can just send him a message. Typing up a message takes but a matter of seconds.
3. You can talk to anyone around the world - I have a large part of my family in Mexico and my dad likes to be able to stay in touch with them. He used to spend tons of money on international phone plans to talk to them everyday when I was a kid. Now he just sends them a quick message on Facebook.
4. Building Relationships - There is no doubt that social media can cause break ups but it can also create new relationships for friends and couples. Friends can find each other an rekindle their relationship
5. Finding Common Ground in an Open Society - Social media has always people to find other people with shared interests. Think you are the only person who likes to play a certain game? Search around! There are hundreds other people who share the same interests that you have.